Tuesday, December 21, 2010

grandmas, great-grandma, great-great grandma

Well, Benjamin doesn't actually have a living great-great grandma, but we now have a Christmas tree ornament that she made.  After mom read my last post I received a package in the mail with all sorts of Christmas nostalgia for my tree--some of it more embarrassing than others.  I'm told that I thought this bulb, made by Grammy Bowden lo so many years ago, the most beautiful thing in the world when I was a little girl.  Hmmm...





Apparently I liked to play with the pins, pulling them in and out.  What a nerd.  Anyway...

I just received another Grammy Bowden ornament in the mail from Aunt Kathy, but I haven't gotten a chance to take a picture yet.  I love this about blogging.  People read my posts and then respond!  Aunt Kathy and I would probably never have had a conversation about this, but now because of this blog, I have a happier and more story-filled tree.  Thanks everyone!

On the left are some new ornaments I made a few weeks ago out of cinnamon, applesauce, and glue. Probably not going to last generations, but fun to make.

Now moving backward to grandparents and great-grandparents.  Benjamin's birth means new labels for family members, and I'm having fun putting together our new extended family based on these new relationships.  And I think those involved are having fun too. Here are the new grandparents all together for the first time with baby Benjamin, about a week before Thanksgiving:


One of the primary reasons we went away for Thanksgiving this year was for Benjamin to meet his great-grandmother, Midge, JB's grandmother on his father's side.  She is very special to JB, so it was very important that she get to meet Benjamin as soon as possible.  Before he was born she helped us think about names and she always has wonderful stories to tell about the family of which Benjamin is now a member.  Midge has become a grandmother to me too. 


Next time I have to post a picture of Benjamin's smile--I can't wait to get it on camera.  




4 comments:

Mom said...

Grammy Bowden would be thrilled to know she and her ornament made your blog! Your tree looks great!
and YES! We want Benjamin's smile!

ssfromss said...

These are wonderful pictures. It's hard to believe Benjamin has a whole 'nother branch of the family waiting to meet him on Christmas Day.
I wish the Wilson crew could be with us too.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to meet Benjamin! :) I'll see you in a few days.
Lala

auntie sara said...

pics of smiles, now please!