Friday, December 3, 2010

For all those in the north on this beautiful December day...


It must have been about 75 degrees here today, so our family spent most of the day outside:  putting up Christmas lights, visiting with neighbors, and reading in the sun.  Benjamin was SO happy laying on  a blanket in the shade with the breeze blowing over his face.  But stringing Christmas lights and getting our tree in this kind of weather still seems wrong to me.   

Starting a family and owning a house has made JB and I do some pretty conventional things these days, and now we can add Christmas traditions to the list.  After staring at the rows of Christmas ornaments at Home depot today after we bought our tree, I just couldn't bring myself to buy anything.  Christmas ornaments when we were growing up were all connected to memories, which seems better to me than anything Martha Stewart could come up with, no matter how ugly the handmade ornaments, no matter how garish the ornament I picked out for my very own when I was ten.  

And yes, mom, I am thinking particularly of the ritual hanging of "old ugly" at the back of the tree.  Old ugly is an unfortunate paper-mache-gone-wrong, mis-shapen yellow bulb covered sparsely with glitter that someone (mom?) made in second grade.  JB and I have a few ornaments we received as wedding gifts, and we did buy a few starter bulbs, but I think making Christmas ornaments is something I will look forward to doing with Benjamin when he is older.  Of course, to really resist convention we could do a palm Christmas tree like the Smith side of the family...

 I love this picture of Benjamin and Brazos in the grass.  Kind of dreamy isn't it?  






3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am very jealous. It has been in the 20's and snowing, and is scheduled to snow steadily for pretty much the next week. Enjoy the sun and warm.
As for the ornaments, TTV has beautiful ones and they seem to have more meaning already built into them. :) We too got a package of starter bulbs to fill in the gaps, but it seems like every year someone gives us a new ornament or two so we are rapidly building up a collection with memories.
Lovely picture with Benjamin and Brazos!

ssfromss said...

Thanks for passing along memories of a happy time on Sanger Ave. We do appreciate the journal and pictures both as you enjoy your first Christmas season with Benjamin.

Anonymous said...

High 20s today in southern Michigan. 75 is a distant memory. But I don't begrudge you: summer in Waco entitles you to this sort of reward :). I LOVE the picture of you and Benjamin . . .
LN