Saturday, November 13, 2010

the awkward stage

Caring for a new baby has been awkward enough for the first few weeks.  If you have ever tried to clothe, feed, and/or bathe a newborn, you know what awkward is.  Now I'm getting the hang of these things, but am faced with a new challenge:  getting out.  Getting out of the house with a baby--with all of the self-consciousness this entails and the piles of STUFF inevitably needed--represents a new level of awkwardness.  Which is why I mostly stayed home for almost three weeks.

Amy to the rescue!


Before my friend Amy came to visit, JB and I had gone out with the baby together a few times, but I had not actually driven the car with the baby on board.  So when Amy got here, she said, "Let's make sure we get out every day."  Every day?!  

That's just what we did.  We figured out the sling wrap and went for a long walk in the park; we took him out to the World Hunger Relief Farm for Farm day; we took turns holding the baby through a wonderful art exhibit; we took the baby when we went out to eat.  I even had the confidence to bring the baby out to an art exhibit and lecture all by myself the day after she left.  He started squeaking a bit half-way through the lecture, so I took him out, but overall it was a successful trip--I felt proud of myself and my baby.  

Benjamin in moby wrap at The Farm with Christy the midwife
I was especially proud when I considered the awkwardness of the museum outing a few days before. As I was wandering around with the baby in my arms looking for a place to nurse, I decided I needed to use the restroom.  How on earth I am supposed to do that without a place to put the baby down?  Let's just say it can be done. As though that weren't enough, when he started crying in the gallery I took him out so quickly that I forgot the diaper bag. I finally found an empty theatre in which to nurse him, all the while hoping that I wouldn't regret not having a burp cloth.  

I returned to the gallery wondering why I had ever taken him out of the house to begin with, but then Benjamin fell asleep in my arms (and then Amy's arms) and I got to spend a wonderful half hour looking at the work of Georges Rouault.  And Amy and I even got to have a conversation about it!  My mind expanded beyond the immediate concerns of my child and I felt--for a moment--the transcendence of being surrounded by beauty and knowing it deeply.  Beautiful art, beautiful child and friend.    

And sometimes for all of his beauty, he is also a bit funny looking:  


Happy one month birthday Benjamin!   

4 comments:

TYGonzalez said...

In case you ever need reassurance that taking out a newborn is possible (if a bit awkward and slow), know this: Ted and I drove all the way to LA when Little Ted was only about 3 weeks old. We spent a couple of weeks there and took him everywhere - the mall, restaurants, the beach. He did well for the most part, and we benefited from the 'normalcy' getting out added to our lives. If only he would travel so easily now that he's a toddler . . .

Anonymous said...

I'm envious that you got to go to the exhibit! Glad you're getting out, and that baby is being exposed to beautiful art (hopefully this early exposure will not produce immunity to art in later life). :) I hope you and Amy continue to have a nice visit.

LN

Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry. Just processed that Amy already left, so instead, I hope you are not depressed in her absence. :)

Laura said...

Oh, Bethany ... it is so much fun reading your entries about life with a new baby =) I can certainly identify with the awkwardness. But isn't it amazing to see yourself grow into motherhood? And I always need to remind myself that this little baby has no idea that I'm awkward. To them, this is just what mommy does ;) Benjamin is adorable. I love his wild hair! And I'm so jealous that Amy got to travel down to see you already ... but also very glad that she came to your rescue! I've been spoiled having Kate living with us. She was the one who got me out of the house after Stu went back to work =)

My love to all three of you! And someday, before too long, I hope to meet JB and Benjamin!