Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Eyes wide open

I guess we're doing something right.  Benjamin has gained 19 ounces since his first check-up two weeks ago:  13 ounces above his birth weight.  I've feel like nursing him has been my primary occupation for the last two weeks, so this is gratifying. We've not only kept him alive for almost three weeks, the child has grown!


I snapped this picture during one of his few waking moments this afternoon.  It's nearly 8pm and he's sleeping soundly again.  I wonder what this will mean for us tonight?  The only time he doesn't seem to want to sleep is between 9 and midnight, precisely when JB and I are most tired and in need of sleep.

The following faces were made right after I put the finishing touches on some of David Lebovitz's potato -leek soup.  With homemade artisan bread.  The perfect ending to a cold, rainy fall day.




Benjamin made his first appearance in church this week and slept through the whole three hour ordeal.  We have felt loved by folks at church the last few weeks as they've brought meals and dropped by for visits and offered lots of help.  But it was fun to introduce Benjamin to the special experience that is Hope Fellowship on Sunday morning.  Our church house is still bursting at the seams as we continue to grow in number, but for a year or two at least Benjamin will add more to the noise than the space.  

In other news, this week I decided to teach a class at Baylor again next semester.  The English department must have called at a time when I was feeling particularly stir-crazy because I accepted the job eagerly and right away.  This job--I need to remind myself--is the same that two years ago I was all too eager to take a break from for a while.  But two years later I am even tempted to take on two classes.   I'm only teaching one class, but I think Benjamin will ultimately benefit from having a mother who goes out into the adult world for a few hours a week and does what her education has prepared her to do.  



8 comments:

Elena Pardo said...

He's beautiful Bethany! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I love those photos, Bethany - he is so beautiful. And YAY for breastmilk! Isn't it amazing stuff...And hooray for your decision to work next semester! So many blessings.

Anonymous said...

I love those photos, Bethany - he is so beautiful. And YAY for breastmilk! Isn't it amazing stuff...And hooray for your decision to work next semester! So many blessings.

Anonymous said...

These pics are darling . . . what a sweet baby! And nice colors in the photos, too.

Glad you decided to take the teaching job. Just one class and no dissertation; it'll be a cakewalk in comparison with the workload you've shouldered in the past! :). And you'll have graduated to a smaller, quieter office in an even more obscure part of the building! Really, though, I think you're exactly right about needing to get out and interact and use your brain in the ways you enjoy . . .

Smooches,
LN

Anonymous said...

These pics are darling . . . what a sweet baby! And nice colors in the photos, too.

Glad you decided to take the teaching job. Just one class and no dissertation; it'll be a cakewalk in comparison with the workload you've shouldered in the past! :). And you'll have graduated to a smaller, quieter office in an even more obscure part of the building! Really, though, I think you're exactly right about needing to get out and interact and use your brain in the ways you enjoy . . .

Smooches,
LN

Mom said...

He still looks just like you did!
Mom

Anonymous said...

He does look just like his mother! He's just beautiful, and I love seeing the pictures.

Love to you all
Aunt K A

Bethany said...

He's beautiful! And expressive in such a sweet little newborn-baby way.

I'm glad that he's nursing so well. I'm glad, too, that you can teach a class next semester; you'll really enjoy that. But don't take on too much . . . he won't always sleep so much. :)