Thursday, September 10, 2015

The great outdoors


An amazing old weeping beech tree at Mohonk 
Well, here we are after school has started, after labor day, about a month since our vacation in NY and I'm just getting to post pictures of our trip.  Since we take our NY trip pretty late in the summer, we always hit the ground running when we return.  We've also really lucked out on the weather by traveling in early August.  Our outdoor time is one of my favorite things about our NY vacation.  Now both children are old enough to really enjoy all the running, climbing, and even hiking we do in the Shawangunk mountains.  


Every year we spend a day up at Lake Mohonk and the Mohonk Mountain House.  Now that dad works there, it's more convenient than ever to visit.  And I think Sara and I have both left behind our memories of endless summers driving up and down the mountain serving food to resort guests.  It's very pleasant to spend the day there and tell ourselves "we'll never have to be waiters again!"  We hope now anyway.  

"hugging" the flowers at Mohonk 
Liza got to go out in the row boat with us this year 


Knocking on the door at the Three Bears house 

Mohonk's lily pond where we found a big, beautiful snake
Angel child
JB and I were excited to take Benjamin on a rougher trail at the Mohonk Preserve this summer--the Millbrook ridge trail.  I knew he would love scrambling up the rocks on the way up, and I was not wrong.  He's sure-footed in his climbing and all-too-fearless on our outdoor adventures.  He was also fairly patient when the trail started to get long.  What a great pleasure to introduce him to the mountains I've loved since my own childhood and on into my adult life.  

Millbrook ridge trail--up and up 


Made it to the top 
boy with a view 

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Beautiful. After hearing of your summers waiting tables at Mohonk, I am glad to see pictures. And way to go, Ben! climbing all the way to the top!