Sunday, May 1, 2011

Thou wast the prettiest babe...

Our budding dramatist 

I don't have many particular aspirations of my own for young Ben; I am content that he has a good home from which to follow his own interests and dreams. With that said, I think it would be ok if Benjamin were interested in books and music.  We are trying to encourage the interest in books with Shakespeare onesies and visiting English professors.  

As if we didn't have enough English majors around the house already, Stephanie came for a visit in April.  And I have to say--her professorial skills were not really all that helpful.  Benjamin just isn't ready apparently.  Good thing she has other good qualities as a friend and baby-holder extraordinaire.  Yes, the Smith kitchen was deliciously productive with a live-in baby-holder around.  And you don't have to have a Phd to read "Are you my mother?" to a six-month old.  Thank goodness. 

So friends, baby-holders, come one, come all!  You will not go hungry.  



In other news, Benjamin is talking like crazy these days and has even had his first serious conversation with his father.  After he finished eating sweet potatoes one day, and JB and I were sitting with him eating our dinner, Benjamin started speaking his bah-bah-bahs directly to JB, who responded in kind, and the conversation went on for about ten minutes. They really took turns talking, and you could tell Benjamin was really listening to JB talk.  Benjamin was amused with himself and his sounds sometimes even took on the inflections of adult speech patterns.  I know this is just a normal stage in development, but it was truly amazing to watch.  

4 comments:

ssfromss said...

What a cute baby you have. The pictures were just what we needed to see.

Stephanie said...

"I am not your mother, I am a Snort, said the Snort." Miss the sweet little guy. Hope I can hold him again before he is a sullen teenager.

Sara Ann said...

look at him getting big! he must stop growing this instant. he must stay very small and mushy for his first visit with me. <3

Sara Ann said...

i can't stop looking at his little face ahhh! and his wittle gween diapa<3 love. love love love.

p.s. let me know exactly when you are flying in so i can keep the week free when you're here... my summer is booking up fast! Sean and I are going away for our anniversary August 3-7th, just so you know... I don't know if you booked a flight yet? Talk to you soon.