Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lake Waco Wetlands


With four weeks to go, JB, Brazos, and I took an early fall trip out to the Lake Waco Wetlands on Monday morning.  JB had the day off, the weather couldn't be better, and we were curious to see what the wetlands were like after having been drained over the summer and partially burned to promote diversity in new growth.  The cattails still looked to be taking over to me, but it was still quite peaceful and beautiful.


We saw the great blue heron nests from a distance and had fun imagining bringing the baby with us in his backpack carrier on our next trip out there.  It was great to put aside our normal routines and spend a peaceful morning outside together mentally preparing for the baby's arrival.  We also wanted to see if we could find some more photos of the wetlands for the baby's room but the education building wasn't open.  So far we have a great one of some dragonflies that JB got as part of a project at work, but we'd like a few more to complete the wetlands theme.  Maybe grandma Wilson would like to draw or paint something for the baby room too??

I'm writing about being outside like it was a novelty, as though I hadn't just spent the whole weekend at a women's retreat in the country.  The women of Hope Fellowship retreated to Clifton with Enuma Okoro to lead us in times of worship, reflection, and sharing together.  I knew it was going to be a great retreat when we started off sharing about ourselves through works of art and I got to reflect on a Matisse painting (the one with the red women dancing in a circle).  One of the best parts of the weekend was sharing a room with my midwife!  I feel so blessed that my midwife is also my friend:  someone with whom I share a church (we sit together as "musician widows" when our husbands are playing music for worship), eat meals, and exchange book recommendations.  Christy is right by all of her patients' sides throughout labor and delivery, but I feel like she has been with me in a special way already throughout the pregnancy, exulting with me as I grow and reassuring me through the less glamorous symptoms.  Knowing one's midwife or doctor is not necessary nor even possible for most women, but I am thankful for the special joy it has brought to my pregnancy.

4 comments:

mom said...

Sounds like a lovely morning! I will certainly try to come up with a wetlands picture for my grandbaby.
Mom

Stephanie said...

Such a nice post. I am so jealous that you are still there and part of Hope Fellowship--I miss it so much! Such an amazing place.

Rachel P. said...

Yay for your naturalist, musician, scholar baby coming with you the next time you visit the wetlands! Wish I could come too! Congratulations on your new addition--Benjamin was born on the same day as my niece Taylor last year, my Boston friend's baby Gabriella, AND my old college roommate's first baby, Bennett--busy baby day! Love and miss you guys but enjoying the blog...

TYGonzalez said...

Love the prego pics and look forward to seeing baby pics soon. Congrats to the both of you.