Thursday, September 16, 2010

skill swap

My friend Barbara and I traded skills last week. She taught me how to make yogurt, and I taught her how to make a big batch of artisan bread. So now I have a whole gallon of yummy homemade yogurt. I like just eating it with sliced peaches. JB likes it with muesli in the mornings. I need a recipe for muesli--it's just too expensive to buy on a regular basis.


JB also figured out how to make Greek yogurt out of this by straining out the whey. It reduces the volume by about half, but it is so rich and delicious. Especially when combined with another of our current projects: the bee hive nucleus.


Well, it's our current project to work our way through eating it. JB's college friend owns a honey business in Round Rock (Round Rock Honey), and for his 40th birthday (his own, not JB's) he gave us this hive nucleus just bursting with fresh honey on the comb. He's also the one who gave us a bee HIVE for our wedding. What can we possibly give Konrad for JB's 40th birthday?? We have basil in our garden...ummm...maybe some of my artisan bread:
This is actually the "skill" that I shared with Barbara. Considering I just follow a recipe, this should not really count as a skill perhaps, but she seems impressed. It is really easy and good and uses 100% whole wheat flour. JB says he could eat it every day. What should I learn how to make next?