Saturday, September 1, 2012

Summer in NY Part II



It was certainly a joyous reunion when JB joined us in NY after we had been away for 1.5 weeks.  Greeting family after a time away feels even better than Christmas.

We spent the first day of his visit up at Mohonk with (almost) the whole family.  Too bad Karen couldn't be there.  I think Sara and I have finally gotten over the strangeness of visiting there after having worked there and knowing way too much about the world of Mohonk employees.  It's such a beautiful place; I'm glad it's not spoiled forever.

Benjamin helped paddle us around the lake.



Then we went with grammy and pa on their favorite hike.  





The massive weeping beech tree above was better than a playground for wee ben.  


And we spent lots of time in the big tree house with Auntie Sara, Unc Sean and Grammy. (Sorry about this picture, Sean..it was the best one of everyone else: ) )  I think we figured out that building one of these in our backyard might be possible, right, JB?   

Mohonk is such a relaxing and fun place to spend time together as a family.  

We spent the next morning out at Karen's homestead.  Benjamin loved meeting her blue horse, turkeys, and chickens.  We loved getting to see where Karen lives, and had a lovely hike  with her and her dog Chip along the beautiful stream that parallels the road she lives on.  I miss lush places deep in the woods like this when I am in Texas.



I think I have one more set of pictures to post from this trip.  I just can't get over how many fun things we did without getting burnt out. With all the pictures I have, I'm in danger of forgetting the things we didn't take pictures of :  a bike ride on the rail trail one evening, an evening in Ellenville to see a play with dad, many afternoons in the backyard with B in the pool, Hudson Valley Shakespeare festival at Boscobel, afternoon tea at the Tea Room with Sara and Mom, and Sara convincing me to buy a dress that I never would have picked out myself : )  And a great trip to Bear Mountain state park and zoo with dad during which my camera ran out of batteries after I took just one picture.  


2 comments:

mom said...

We sure did have alot of fun while you were here. Better than all the things we did was getting to know our little B. Can't wait to see y'all again.
Mom

ssfromss said...

These are great pictures. Lucky Ben to have family in NY and Texas. Looking forward to Part III