Thursday, December 1, 2011


Ah nap time.  Let's hope B sleeps just a few more minutes.  The pictures in this post have nothing to do with the post itself.  They are just a few I took of Benjamin on our trip to San Francisco, a month ago now:  arriving at the SF airport, "drinking coffee" at Philz, posing with "our" mural in Balmy alley, and walking the soggy grass at Golden Gate park.  

But that is ancient history.  I am thankful this week for getting to work for two whole days on my own writing and research.  JB's mom came down for a few days to watch Benjamin so I could meet a journal deadline.  I cannot express in words how much I appreciate her ability and willingness to do that!  The best way to get to know someone is to spend a few solid days in his or her company; I think Sarah and Benjamin certainly got better acquainted.      

At this time last year, I don't think I was ready to get back into my own writing/research work again.  I don't know if it was dissertation burnout or my inability to multi-task (i.e. watch a baby and do anything else), but I was not ready and I did not know if I would ever be ready again.  This week I was excited to be editing part of my dissertation to send out to a journal for publication.  I am relieved that I haven't lost the desire to write about literature.  Which is good because I have also committed to presenting a paper at a conference in March, so I have to keep working (hi Stephanie!).  

So today, B and I are getting re-acquainted.  After doing my own work, whether it be teaching, lesson planning, writing, putting together a newsletter (which I need to be doing this week...), I always feel more energized to do the other work this life demands:  grocery shopping, menu planning, yogurt making, laundry, baby minding.  All of which I did this morning.  I kind of feel like patting myself on the back.  








3 comments:

mom said...

Let me pat your back too! Sounds like you are doing great. Maybe I could come babysit for a few days too this spring. Can't wait to see y'all in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

You'd have a great time. Benjamin is a happy funny boy. It's always a treat to visit Bethany and JB too.

ssfromss said...

That last anonymous was me. (so is this one, obviously) I can't seem to figure out how to use my google ID.
Sarah