Sunday, September 18, 2011


I'm thinking about the old home place this week.  Here are a few things that remind me of my family in NY.  One is this old sewing table made out of a HEAVY iron (?) sewing machine from who knows when.  Mom's mom, the grandfather I never met, made it into a table, if I'm remembering right.  It traveled down to Texas with me early in my grad school career and I've lugged it around with me ever since.  HEAVY.  Now Benjamin pulls up on it and gets closer every day to pulling the plants down.  Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out where else to put them... 

Looking at the picture again, I remember that the crate he is leaning on and the chair behind the table also made the long journey from my parents' basement to my various Texas homes.  

In the picture below, mom painted the picture of a caterpillar that hangs in Benjamin's room.  Right now he's more interested in The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  But I look forward to the day when Benjamin points to the picture and we can make the connection between the two caterpillars and talk about his grammy together.  

We read him stories here every night before he goes to sleep.  It's a pleasant little scene isn't it?  


3 comments:

mom said...

Yes, it is a pleasant little scene! Yea for bedtime stories! The picture looks great in his room. I wasn't even thinking of the colors matching his wall, but they do. You have the story right on the sewing machine table. The machine actually worked when it was brought home from some flea market or church fair. You made it work by moving the base with your feet.

Sara Ann said...

aww boo! i LOVE these pictures:).

Sara Ann said...

...patiently waiting for some new B pictures!